Email:       Call Us: (+85621) 217405; (+85620) 55513162, 22222336, 58157519

Visas Services

Labor Visa (LA-B2)
Investors visa (NI-B2)
Spouse Visas (SP-B3)
Procedures for temporary residence cards for foreigners in Laos

Labor Visa (LA-B2)

Labor visas or work visas are issued to foreigners who already have work permits, ID cards and be legally employed by a registered enterprise in Laos, who hold a quota to employ foreign employees.

The LA-B2 is the most common type of visa issued to foreigners living and working in Laos. It is a multiple entry visa and is available for a period of 3 months, 6 months and 1year duration.

Work Permit and Stay permit

A work permit is issued by the Ministry of labor and social welfare, and Stay Permit by the Immigration Department, Ministry of Public Security.

The application for the work permit and SP must be registered by the employer, sponsoring the foreign applicant, within one month from the day of receiving authorization from the Lao MFA.

Documents require for the registration and issuance of Work Permit for foreign workers are as follows:

  • Approval for importing foreign workers,
  • Copy of the applicant’s passport and visa (visa LA-B2)
  • Passport photographs
  • Copy the entity’s registration certificate; and
  • The proposal form of the company

Employment law related to foreign employees

In Lao PDR, all matters related to foreign employee working in the private sector and for international organizations, embassies, and non-government organizations are regulated by the Labor Law of 2013

To work in Lao PDR, a foreign worker must meet the following legal requirements:

  • Must be at lease twenty years old;
  • Must possess skills and a professional level consistent with the required position;
  • Have a clean criminal record
  • Be in good health; and
  • Other requirement considered necessary.

Requirements for a Laos Work Permit by Laos Employers

Listed below are essential prerequisites when applying for a Laos work permit:

  • Your company must be registered in Laos
  • You should provide the job letter to the employee you want to hire.
  • The work permit also states the nature of the job and the responsibilities. Therefore, accurate information is needed
  • The employee should hold a valid passport
  • The person will require an investment license if traveling to invest in a business registered in Laos.

Some document that are a must while applying for a Work Permit in Laos are:

  • A valid passport which is valid for at least six months from departure
  • Other travel documents
  • Duly signed and filled visa application form
  • Ticket for a round trip in case of a short trip
  • Two recent passport size color photographs
  • A proof of fun that will substantiate your purchasing in Laos
  • Company’s appointment letter or a cover letter printed on the company’s letterhead that has employed the person
  • Bank statements for the last three months

Investors visa (NI-B2)

Investor visas or Business visas are issued to foreign citizens working or investing in Laos including foreign investors, enterprise directors, deputy directors, technical officers, volunteers of non-governmental organizations, that hold ordinary passports.

Applicants of the business visa need to first enter Laos under other type of visas, sort out paper work to get work permit and ID card, only after that the business visa can be issued.

Multiple entry visas may be obtained for a period of 3 months, 6 months and 1 year and may be renewed every 3 months, 6 months or 1 year until completion of assignments or business terms.

Spouse Visas (SP-B3)

Spouse visas are issued to husbands or wives of other types of visa holders. The spouse visa will normally be for the same duration as that of the original visa holder. Holders for spouse visas may not undertake any work while in Lao PDR.

Visa Requirements

  • Original passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity and 2 blank pages, one for a visa sticker and another for immigration stamps.
  • 2-3 recent passport type photographs

All Laos visas must be use within 2 months from the date of issue.

Visa Extension

Most Laos visa types are extendable. Once in Laos you can get your Laos visa extended.

Procedures for temporary residence cards for foreigners in Laos

What is temporary residence cards?

A temporary residence card, also known as a stay permit card (English is Stay permit card for foreign staff ) is a type of document allowing legal temporary residence in Laos issued by the Foreigners management Police, Ministry of security of Laos for foreigner with a term of at least 6 months, 1 year and maximum of 5 years.

Subjects granted temporary residence cards in Laos include foreigner, stateless people visiting relatives, travelling, working, performing official duties for a definite time and living in Lao PDR- are allowed to issue temporary residence cards.


Condition for issuance for a residence card

Foreigners are stateless people coming to work in Lao PRD to be granted temporary residence cards  must meet the following condition:

  • Have a passport valid for 6 months or more
  • Have one of the type of spouse Visa (SP-B3), Work visa (LA-B2), Business investment visa (NI-B2)
  • Have an application for the relevant organization company that has been licensed for domestic of foreign investment or has been granted a franchise license by the government of the Lao PRD
  • Having others visa as greed by the government or no visa under a bilateral agreement between Laos and its


Procedure for applying for a temporary residence card

The inviting or guaranteeing individual, organization  or company will carry out  the procedures for granting a temporary residence card as follows:

  1. Original passport valid for 6 months
  2. 3×4 photo (4 photos)
  3. Application Form
  4. Company guarantee commitment
  5. Minites of commitment of the company
  6. Photocopy of investment license, concession permit ( if any )
  7. Photocopy of business registration certificate, certificate of completion of tax obligation


Time for processing the application for temporary residence card:  from 05 to 07 working days from Monday to Friday (except holidays and New Year) counting from the date of the complete and valid application for temporary residence card.


-Temporary residence card for investors, engineers, workers and experts with a term of 1 year is………/p

– Temporary residence card for investors, engineers, workers and experts with a term of 6 months  is………./p


Our service of applying for a new temporary residence card and extending a temporary residence card for foreigner in Laos includes:

  • Free consultation on conditions and subjects who can apply for a temporary residence cards for foreigner according to Laos regulations.
  • Free consultation on issues related to passport type, passport validity… can apply for a temporary residence card.
  • Support service in drafting official document and documents related to making temporary residence cards for foreigners in Laos.
  • Consulting services for agencies, organizations and enterprises in the preparation of documents according to regulations to apply for temporary residence card for workers, Investors… or individuals to apply for temporary residence card for relatives (granting temporary residence cards under the category of spouses, parents are Laos, etc…).

We will follow the authorization to submit the application and receive the results of the temporary residence card application at the competent state agency in accordance with the Laws of Laos.

If you have demands and need the answer to some questions related to apply for a temporary residence card for foreigners, please contact, Hotline: +856 20 55513162, 20 22222336 for detailed advice or leave us your information we will contact you shortly.